Skip to main content

Guide to Citadel Campus Names

Dunnemann Apartments

​​​​Louis Dunnemann

  • Building purchased by The Citadel in 1956
  • Completed as faculty apartments by 1958
  • Likely named for Louis Dunnemann, who owned property south of Grove Street in Charleston, where Dunnemann Avenue is today.

"Second: That the Board of Visitors considers it possible and feasible to negotiate for purchase in addition to adjacent marshland designated as Area B, certain lots and dwelling thereon also adjoining The Citadel property on Hagood Avenue and on Dunnemann Avenue for use as faculty housing now greatly needed."

Citadel Board of Visitors meeting minutes, June 2, 1956

Plat from 1892, drawn on the stationary of the City Engineer, showing the path of a proposed boulevard through the property of Louis Dunnemann.