John O. Willson (1845-1923)
"The committee appointed in accordance with the direction of the Board of Visitors and consisting of Colonel Thomas, Colonel Padgett and General Summerall, for the purpose of recommending names for the buildings, streets, etc., of The Citadel met on May 16, 1934 and submits the following recommendations to the Board. The numbers refer to the elements indicated on the accompanying blue print.
Willson Field. In honor of the Rev. John O. Willson, a noted member of the gospel and donor of the Willson Ring as an award to graduates of The Citadel."
Citadel Board of Visitors meeting minutes, May 17, 1934