James Jones (1805-1865)
Named in 1934
“The committee appointed in accordance wit the direction of the Board of Visitors and consisting of Colonel Thomas, Colonel Padgett and General Summerall, for the purpose of recommending names for the buildings, streets, etc., of The Citadel met on May 16, 1934, and submits the following recommendations to the Board. The numbers refer to the elements indicated on the accompanying blue print.
James Jones Street. In honor of General Jones who was the first and practically the only Chairman of the Board of Visitors from the beginning in 1842 to the War Between the States.”
Citadel Board of Visitors meeting minutes, May 17, 1934