Skip to main content

Guide to Citadel Campus Names

Capers Hall

Ellison Capers (1837-1908)

  • Citadel Class of 1857

Francis Capers (1819-1892)

  • Citadel President, 1853-1859

Building

  • Completed 1951
  • Originally called the Arts Building
  • The name of Capers Hall was recommended to the Board of Visitors in December of 1962, and approved by the Board at their May 30, 1963 meeting

"Arts Building for Brigadier General Ellison Capers, C.S.A., Episcopal Bishop of the South, and First President of Sewanee University, Class of 1857, and Major F. W. Capers, Superintendent of The Citadel, 1852-1859.

Discussion:

We thought it unwise to name a barracks Capers Barracks because of the unusual connotation that can be placed on the word caper. However, we think the name would be appropriate for an academic building such as this and that it would be wise to recognize both a former superintendent and a soldier-educator-bishop when naming this building. If it should be deemed unwise to utilize two names in this manner, the committee would recommend that the building be named for General Capers.”

Citadel Board of Visitors meeting minutes, December 17, 1962

 

undefined

undefined  undefined

Ellison and Francis Capers