Skip to main content

Guide to Citadel Campus Names

Stevens Barracks

Peter Stevens (1835-1910)

  • Citadel Class of 1849
  • Citadel President, 1859-1861

Building

  • Completed 1944
  • Originally called Barracks 4
  • The name Stevens Barracks was recommended at a Board of Visitors meeting in December of 1962, and approved at the May 30, 1963 Board meeting.

"Barracks 4 for Major P. F. Stevens, Superintendent of The Citadel, from 1859-1861.

Discussion:

His military exploits during the Star of the West episode makes it appropriate to associate his name with a barracks. This would follow the precedent of naming buildings for presidents (Bond Hall, Coward Hall, Mark Clark Hall).”

Citadel Board of Visitors meeting minutes, December 17, 1962

undefined  undefined