Skip to main content

Guide to Citadel Campus Names

Lesesne Gate

Thomas Petigru Lesesne (1882-1942)

  • Citadel Class of 1901

Gate

  • Named in 1940
  • Redesigned and rebuilt in 1955

"The Chairman suggested that inasmuch as Mr. Thomas P. Lesesne of the News & Courier had given a great deal of time and effort in the promotion of the plans for the Greater Citadel, that he would suggest that the front gates be named for him. On motion of General Dozier, seconded by Col. Lyles, the suggestion of the Chairman was approved."

Citadel Board of Visitors meeting minutes, May 31, 1940

Photograph by Louis Brems

undefined

Senior portrait, 1901