Skip to main content

Guide to Citadel Campus Names

Law Barracks

Evander Law (1836-1920)

  • Citadel Class of 1856

Building

  • Completed 1939
  • Originally called Barracks 3 or South Barracks
  • The name Law Barracks was recommended to the Board of Visitors in December of 1962, and approved at their May 30, 1963 Board meeting.

"Barracks 3 for Major General Evander M. Law, C.S.A., class of 1856, educator.

Discussion:

Naming an academic building for this gentleman would tend to imply that the building was predominantly used for teaching law; so it was thought that it would be more appropriate to use his name for a barracks. Besides, since his recognized accomplishments had more to do with the military than other fields, his seemed an appropriate name to associate with a barracks."

Citadel Board of Visitors meeting minutes, December 17, 1962

undefined  undefined