Welcome to our research guide for the early history of Cuban cadets at The Citadel.
The first students to attend The Citadel from Cuba were recruited during the summer of 1904 by a faculty member sent to Cuba for that purpose. Eight cadets from Cuba matriculated to The Citadel that fall. Due to a language barrier, these eight cadets were placed in a freshmen class by themselves, called the Cuban Section of the Fourth Class. By 1907, all of the Cuban cadets had left The Citadel. In 1908, the first Spanish language class was introduced to the curriculum.
This guide will share information discovered in The Citadel's institutional records and publications relating to this early history from 1904 to 1908, and will recommend further resources and research paths.
The Citadel Archives has the goal of lifting up stories and voices from historically underrepresented members of our community. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Cuban cadets at The Citadel from 1905 Sphinx yearbook