You may elect to write another one page summary article discussing an empirical research study. Empirical refers to having collected data. Consequently, the article must contain data collected by the authors of the article. Review papers in which other researchers’ data are reviewed, papers that are opinion papers or theoretical papers with no data are not acceptable for this assignment. This paper should follow the same format as that described for the required Empirical Paper. See additional handouts for the precise form and scoring of this paper. 50 points.
Example Paper Topics:
Self Esteem as Related to Anorexia or Bulimia
The Effects of Retirement on Self Esteem
Does Inclusion Impair Academic Progress of Students
Intelligence Tests Biased or Not
The Effects of Premarital Cohabitation on Divorce Rates
Sources of Stress for the Family
Do Gender Differences Exist in Cognitive Abilities (e.g., math scores)
The Impact of Prevention Programs on Adolescent Sexual Behavior
Factors Related to Suicide Prevention
1) Perform a PsycInfo or ERIC literature search to locate an empirical (an article in which the authors discuss data that they have collected and not a theoretical or review article) article relating to human development and economic, racial, ethnic, or religious variables. (See Find Articles tab on the left.)
2) Obtain a hard copy of one article, carefully read the article, and write (in APA format) one paragraph summarizing one finding of the article. [Most articles provide information supportive of a number of potential theses.]
3) Write a thesis statement of which the article is supportive.
4) Write a formal APA citation for the article.
5) Submit 2 copies of the following: the complete article; one page with thesis, paragraph, and citation. With a copy of the professor approval form.