"Resolved, That the Superintendent of the Arsenal Academy at Columbia and the Citadel Academy at Charleston be required to prescribe a suitable uniform for both officers and cadets of the above named Academies, and confer with each member of the Board of Visitors by letter upon the subject: and upon receiving the approbation of a majority of the Board, the uniform so prescribed, shall be adopted."
Here is what they decided on as per the 1843 Regulations:
The 1849 Regulations makes a few small changes in regard to both the Forage Cap and the Dress Cap:
The Forage Cap is now made of blue cloth instead of black velvet and the Dress Cap is now made of black felt instead of black beaver, as per the 1845 Regulations.
The 1849 Regulations also have the first mention of badges of military distinction as follows: