Anyone may use the Daniel Library facilities in house, including:
- Circulating books
- Government documents
- Reference materials
The following may borrow circulating materials from the Daniel Library:
- Citadel students, faculty, retired faculty, staff, members of Daniel Library Friends, and Charleston metropolitan area Citadel alumni.
- Dependents of Citadel faculty and staff
- Students, faculty, and professional staff of other Charleston Academic Libraries Consortium (CALC) institutions: College of Charleston; Charleston Southern; MUSC; South Carolina Marine Resources; Trident Technical College; Charleston School of Law. Students, faculty, and professional staff of other Partnership Among South Carolina Academic Libraries (PASCAL) institutions.
- Others, through special arrangement with the Library Director. Please contact the Circulation Librarian for details.
Confidentiality of library users' records
Daniel Library adheres to Title 60, Chapter 4 (Sec. 60-4-10), S.C. Code 1976, which provides that the records of library materials cannot be disclosed by the library to anyone except: (1) persons acting within the scope of their duties in the administration of the library or library system; (2) persons authorized, in writing, by the library patron to inspect his records; or (3) in accordance with proper judicial order. A statement of the policy is posted at the library's Circulation desk and is included in the written circulation policies.
- Citadel users must have a validated ID to check out material, including print reserves.
- Faculty and students may acquire IDs and term validation stickers from the College of Graduate and Professional Studies.
- CALC and PASCAL users must present their institution's validated ID.
- All other library users who qualify to borrow material may acquire IDs from Circulation Desk staff.
Items which are NOT circulated:
- Rare books
- Reference materials
- Any periodical: paper, bound, microfilm, or microfiche
- Audio-visual items circulate only to Citadel students, faculty (including retired faculty), and staff
Loan Periods and Fines
|Item||Loan Period||Fine Rate
(per day and item)
|14 days||$0.10||2 days|
|DVD/VHS||7 days||$1.00||1 day|
|Special Permission||Irregular||$1.00||2 hours|
|Music CDs||7 Days||$1.00||1 day|
Note: Faculty are exempt from all fines, except recreational materials.
- Borrowers are allowed to renew a book twice unless on HOLD REQUEST for another patron. Books not overdue may be renewed by telephone. If overdue, a book must be brought to the library for renewal.
- Citadel faculty members can renew overdue books by writing the barcode number beside the title(s) listed on the overdue notice and by returning or mailing the notice to the Circulation Desk.
Overdue Notices and Lost Items
- The library staff sends borrowers two overdue notices, but it is the borrower's responsibility to know when books are due and to return them on time.
- Any material due more than 100 days past the overdue date is considered lost.
- For lost material the borrower is sent a final notice indicating that after seven days for material not returned or paid, the borrower's account is forwarded to The Citadel Treasurer for collection and/or record attachment. Then, the borrower will receive invoice to pay or clear with the treasurer's office.