From a single room library on the old Marion Square campus when the college was first established in 1842, the Daniel Library has grown to be one of the major intellectual forces on The Citadel campus on the banks of the Ashley River. Constructed in 1960 with the generous gift of the Daniel Family of Greenville, South Carolina, the library collections today number over 180,000 volumes with impressive collections in military history and Southern history. With a staff of over twenty talented and dedicated individuals, the Daniel Library provides top quality information service in an age when information is an essential aspect of everyday life.
The Friends organization was formed to stimulate private support of the Daniel Library, The Citadel Archives & Museum through gifts, endowments, and bequests that:
Membership in the Daniel Library Friends brings together individuals who believe that libraries are fundamental elements of civilization and American culture. Our knowledge of prior civilizations is largely the result of the preservation of the written record by libraries. Libraries are cultural institutions that cross barriers of race, religion, gender and socioeconomic status. The Daniel Library Friends will assure that the Citadel's library will continue to be the vigorous center of campus learning and intellectual activity that it has been in the past.
Current Friends members are entitled to book and video checkouts, two interlibrary loan requests per semester and ongoing notification of Friends' events.
Please click on the link below to access the application form for new members.